Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Juliet and Sasha in the Fall

I was told it was time to update the blog, and it is! Our camera is on the outs, so no new pictures, but we will have one in working order again soon – likely before Halloween.

The kids are busy little monsters!

Sasha started back in preschool at one of the local YMCAs last month. She goes three days a week now, instead of two, because she is *almost* four. On the first day, a boy named Tad ran after her and said ‘I love you, I want you to come to my house for a playdate.’ Sasha continues to talk about Tad who is brought to school by his British grandmother. Colin likes to sing, “oh don't you know my name is Tad, and like to do lots of drawings,” like the old Mike Meyers sketch. And while Tad has no such accent, it is still very funny.

Sasha seems to remember few other names which puzzles me to no end. She misses Madison from last year who must have progressed on to kindergarten this year. Sasha’s favorite names are Tyler, Madison, and Kylie. These are the names she gives to her dolls or her reflection in the window. It reminds me when my favorite names as a kid were ones like Stephanie. So maybe, like me, Sasha too will appreciate her name one day. I would give a good sum of money to have a camera at school with Sasha and see what goes on, she gives us very few details. I was surprised to learn just recently that they sing at school, who knew???

She is still rising early. Her body wakes up at 6am or so regardless of bedtime, much to our tired dismay. She wavers between utter sweetness and general grumpy mischievousness. Yesterday she wanted to paint my nails and help me in the kitchen. We had a girls’ night last Thursday and we each got our (desperately needed) haircut and then had dinner together. We both had a great time. Our Aunt Paulette passed away last week and we brought home some flowers from the funeral. Although Sasha doesn’t 100% understand dying, she made a sweet comment that Aunt Paulette gave us the flowers. And I thought how true, Paulette would be very glad that Sasha and Juliet were enjoying the lavender vase full of pink and purple flowers. And then on the other end of the spectrum, this morning Sasha was saying she didn’t like ballet and was throwing plastic records at Juliet’s head all while wearing a bathing suit with tights.

Sasha ran a 1k about two weeks ago. It was held in conjunction with a half marathon I ran. She ran with Colin pushing Juliet in the stroller and a going on four year old girl whose mom had a broken foot and couldn't accompany her. Colin said that Sasha kept running ahead encouraging the other girl to hurry up, much to the ladylike little girl's dismay. Sasha finally went on ahead. Colin told her to wave to the crowd when she finished. And that she did as she sprinted the last stretch, with everyone cheering. She sounded like she had tons of fun.

Juliet. She will be 16 months next week. You can tell when she is mad, upset, or her feelings are hurt. No denying it, her face gets red and the tears pour. Her word usage is growing. She has no, yes, dog, woof woof, up, “I get it,” “I want it,” “I did it,” - notice a theme? - so big, diaper, eye, nose, poo, milk, book. Oh, and I almost forgot, she can say Ray, for the neighborhood Dennis the Menace (sidenote: Raymond brought both Juliet and Sasha pumpkins from the pumpkin patch - very sweet). She seems to have “PaPa” for her grandpas and “Mary” for the babysitter, as well.

She is a delight when cuddly, a screaming wiggler when annoyed. She was singing the tune of polly Wally Doodle in the car last night, she seems to have a pretty good ear. She surprised us all by walking a loop around the neighborhood the other week, about 0.6 mile! When we finally got to our street, she showed her tiredness by sitting down every twenty feet. But don’t try to carry her, she wants to get home herself! She actually runs away from a 3rd grade girl on our street who always want to carry her around. I try not to laugh.

Her feet have finally grown enough that I broke out Sasha’s old size 5s (Sasha’s first shoes) yesterday. Jules seemed pretty thrilled. We’ll go in next week for a weight check and see if she has grown much this month. The doctor was concerned about her weight at her 15 month checkup. It is hard for us to tell since we see her everyday.

She loves to read books (aka flip pages), take items in/out of a container, walk and run, push strollers and whatever else is pushable, climb on the stool in the bathroom, and get tickled by Daddy.

For Halloween, Juliet is going to be a dog, and Sasha will be a bumblebee fairy. Expect pictures in a couple weeks.

I continue to urge Colin that we need a dog for Christmas. I’ll let you know in a couple months how that works out.
This picture is from last month. Since then, it has cooled off some here, and the leaves are changing. It had been a dry summer (again), but the color is pretty nice.

No comments: